Tuesday, March 14, 2017

mattress, electrical, and a couch cushion

Wow busy day yesterday, I was way to tired to post this last night, so here it is.

We "split up" and worked on different projects. I finished off the 120Volt electrical for the bus (a one person all day job) and Shanesta worked on Lucas' mattress and its cover, as well as making and covering one couch cushion (hand sewed!).
Yes, I'm sitting in our closet trying to wrangle all these wires in place, but that's ok, I like closets hehe! End result didn't get a picture yet, but it's all in place. The electrical box I have in my lap (about 40lbs) is now mounted under the stove. Actually the electrical isn't completely done, sorry I forgot.... I still have to connect the 12v wires coming from the charge controller part of the electrical box to the batteries to keep them charged for if we use the bus interior lights, as well as to maintain a proper charge to the batteries if God leads us to a spot to sit for a while and not fire the bus up.

Anyway, Shanesta worked her butt off yesterday! We re-cycled a few bus seat cushions as mattress pads for the boys' bunk beds (saved us $200 for foam mattress') and it kept 8 seat cushions from finding their way into a land fill. Shanesta used spray glue to hold the cushions together and then also to hold the mattress cover to the cushion.

She will be making custom sheets for the beds since they are smaller than a twin size by a few inches. She got Lucas' mattress done before running out of spray glue, so she started on a couch cushion. Now the first part of the day, I though that I had the hard job, having to become a contortionist to get some of the wires to go where I wanted them, but when I saw Shanesta sitting on a upturned bucket sewing the couch cushion cover by hand (no sewing machine), I immediately decided she had the harder job. She sat on that bucket for over an hour while she sewed the cover onto the cushions we re-cycled out of a packer camper that is on it's way to the dump in a few weeks. (We are also going to recycle the tin sides, any wiring left over and sell/donate the windows/doors.) I did get an end result of Shanesta's busy day, check them out! Lucas loves his mattress!
Here's the cushion Shanesta slaved over, and the bucket she slaved away on, only four more to do! I tell you what, it's wicked comfy!

So we are headed back up today, we need to get more spray glue to do TJ's mattress, and I'm going to work on the toilet room, and maybe start plumbing the shower/sink. Yea, I get to cut through the bus floor..... joy! (!!!sarcastic!!!) depending on how things go with the toilet room. I would say bathroom, but there's to be no bathing in that part of the bus....only thing going in there is a toilet! YUCK!!!!

God Bless y'all!

2 comments:

  1. What a creative way to make your own mattress! My wife and myself have been hunting high and low for an affordable mattress for our little guy, but I never considered making one out of bus seat cushions. I'm glad to read that your youngster is loving it, and I hope the custom sheets she is making work just as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dylan, we did both of our boys beds like that, and after almost 5 months on the road,they still love their beds! The covers work great as well. Glad we could help! If you have any questions feel free to email, northidahofisher@gmail.com
      God Bless, Scott

      Delete